Cheers to the Weekend - Kombucha Mules
Because it doesn't hurt when your cocktails are not only good for a buzz, but good for your gut as well. Haven't heard of kombucha? It's one of the more recent health crazes to hit the masses and I'll admit I've totally been swept up in the hoopla. It's a fermented tea that contains probiotics, making it super great for your digestive track. If you want a few more facts, read a bit more here. For our purposes, it's enough to know that it's a bubbly beverage that isn't overly sweet and mixes well with vodka.
These were made on a sunny Sunday evening and went very nicely with a dinner of cheese, dried fruit and crackers. Sometimes, being a grown up is the bees knees.
- 1.5 ounces vodka of choice
- Fresh squeezed juice from 1/2 orange
- Kombucha (I used the original green variety from Red Star Kombucha Company out of Pittsburgh, but any fruity flavor would work great)
- more orange slices for garnish
- In a shaker, gently shake together the orange juice and vodka. Pour into a copper mug filled with ice (crushed if you're lucky enough to have a fridge that makes crushed ice). Fill the rest of the way with komucha and garnish with a slice of orange.
This particular kombucha worked well in this recipe because it has a great neutral flavor and I picked orange juice as my citrus of choice to add a little additional sweetness. There are a lot of kombucha flavors out there, many of them already fruit flavored, so feel free to experiment. Lemon or lime juice would work as well depending on the komucha you decide to spike.